An apprenticeship with Hutchinson Builders can be an experience providing lifelong rewards. In recruiting our apprentices we primarily seek candidates who have the potential capacity to manage future Hutchies projects. Consequently we are always looking for quality candidates who will successfully complete a carpentry apprenticeship – the first step to becoming a future leader at Hutchies. With more than 170 apprentices, we believe attitude and aptitude are the two most important things to look for in candidates, along with a clear commitment to a career in construction.
Candidates with Certificate 1 in General Construction or equivalent structured workplace experience are our preferred entry level qualifications.
A Year 12 level education is desirable (with a ‘C’ level pass in Maths and English) however we will employ candidates with a only a Grade 10 qualification where there are obvious attributes in other areas or clearly quantifiable vocational skills.
We also have our own school called the Gold Coast School of Construction (GCSC) situated at our modular construction yard at Yatala (QLD) along with other campuses in various locations. The GCSC provides pre-apprenticeship training for students from Gold Coast schools and soon for young people who have left school.
Click here to find out more about GCSC
What you can do
See your teacher, guidance officer, D2C mentor or job network provider and send us a resume and covering letter telling us why you would like to work with Hutchinson Builders.
(remember to attach your resume and covering letter)
If you would prefer to mail it send to:
Locked Bag 3002
TOOWONG QLD 4066
If selected for an interview make sure you:
- Arrive early for the appointed time
- Dress as neatly and as formally as you can afford
- Have a clear understanding of why you chose the particular trade
- Have a clear understanding of your future goals
- Find out as much as you can about Hutchinson Builders and work out why you want to work for us
- Have no spelling or typographical errors in your application letter and resume
- Be flexible – are there other trades you would consider
- Have an opinion and don’t be shy about expressing it at interview
- Maintain eye contact with your interviewer and those people at Hutchies you might meet on the day